Methi Chole Sabzi / Fenugreek Leaves and Chickpeas Sabzi
When you want to pack proteins in your diet, get going with chickpeas. North Indian style curries with chickpeas are perfect for lunchbox recipes. Methi Chole is a popular Punjabi dish that combines fenugreek leaves with chole in a spicy gravy. It’s also a convenient way to include greens in your meal in a tasty manner. The aroma of this curry is amazing and it’ll make you want to eat it as soon as you make it.
Recipe Details :
Serves: 4 pax
Time: 30 mins
- 2 cups methi leaves, chopped
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 big tomato, finely chopped
- 1.5 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 3 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cardamom pods (break and finely powder)
- 2 green chillies, slit in half along the length
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp aamchur / dry mango powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp oil
- Wash the fenugreek leaves and chop them roughly.
- Wash and soak the chole in water for 6 – 8 hours.
- Drain the water and add the chole in a pressure cooker along with 3 tsp of salt and 3 cups water. Pressure cook this for 6 whistles on a medium flame. Then switch off the cooker and let it cool till the pressure is naturally released.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add the bay leaves, cloves, cardamom powder and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Now add the chopped onion, a pinch of salt and saute them till they are translucent. Add ginger garlic paste to the onions and continue cooking till they are golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and green chillies at this stage and fry them for 2 mins.
- Then add the turmeric powder, garam masala powder, dry mango powder and coriander powder. Mix well to combine. Let this paste cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add the chole along with the cooking water. Taste and add more salt, if required.
- Cook the chole for around 10 mins on a low flame.
- Finally add the chopped fenugreek leaves and mix them well and cook them for another 3 mins. The aroma of the sabzi is amazing.
- Tastes good when served hot and best paired with roti or naan.
- Make sure the chole is well cooked before you add it to the gravy. You can cook it for some more time in the pressure cooker if needed.
- Ensure that the methi leaves are washed well. Rinse them multiple times before cutting.