Every region of India has its own version of dal (lentil soup). Red lentils are easy to work with and hence I picked them as the main ingredient for this recipe. Along with being a rich source of proteins, they cook quickly and hence fit well in routine cooking. For different textures, I used a medley of three dals in this recipe – chana dal, moong dal and masoor dal (red lentils). When you mix these dals with the trademark Indian spices and flavored tempering, what you get is a mouthwatering ‘Mixed Lentils Dal’.
Recipe Details :
Serves: 3-4 pax
Time: 40 mins
- 3/4 cup red lentils/masoor dal
- 2 tbsp moong dal
- 2 tbsp chana dal
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 big tomato, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chillies
- 2 tsp ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 curry leaves for garnish
- 2 tsp of lemon juice (optional)
- Wash and soak the three dals together in warm water for at least 15 mins.
- Pressure cook these dals in a cooker for two whistles on medium flame.
- In a vessel, take oil and heat it on low flame. Add the cumin seeds and wait for them to splutter.
- Now add the dry red chillies and saute them for 30 secs. Then add green chillies, ginger, tomatoes and salt. Cook the tomatoes till they become soft.
- Then add the coriander powder and turmeric powder and mix them well.
- Now add the pressure cooked dal to this tempering and add 2 cups of water. Cook this dal for 7 mins on low flame.
- Switch off the flame and let it cool for 5-7 mins. Then add lemon juice and garnish with curry leaves. Serve hot with rice or roti and some pickle.
- Soak the dals for at least 15 minutes in warm water. The longer you soak them, the faster they will cook.
- While cooking the dal, add or reduce the amount of water to bring it to the consistency you like.
4 responses to “Mixed Lentils Dal”
Such a simple and delightful meal perfect with hot steamed rice and papad
Keep in touch
LikeLiked by 1 person
And also add a bit of pickle to the side. Thanks Sharvari 🙂
I love everything dahl! I made it & loved it so much, my friend!
Thanks Sophie 🙂