When the weather gets warm, you need a go-to summer drink. Ideally, it should be one you can make easily, in bulk, and store so that you can sip it whenever you want. Strawberries work perfectly with lemons to make a great refreshing drink. Try it and you will end up liking it berry much!
Recipe Details :
Makes: 4-5 glasses
Time: 20 mins
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 10-12 strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 tbsp grated lemon peel
- 2 cups cold sparkling water
- Mint leaves for garnish (optional)
- Take a medium saucepan and mix the sugar into the water. Bring it to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Switch off the flame and remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Let the mixture cool a little. Add the lemon peel and lemon juice and stir well.
- Once the mixture cools completely, strain it into a clean pitcher.
- In a blender, puree the strawberries into a fine mixture and add it into the pitcher with the lemon juice. Stir the juice well and refrigerate.
- To serve, pour some of the chilled mixture in a serving glass and top it off with sparkling water. Stir well and garnish with mint leaves.
- Let the sugar syrup cool before adding the lemon juice and peel.
- If you want a smoother drink, you can strain the strawberry puree through a fine mesh.
An organic, healthy, vegetarian restaurant coupled with relaxed ambience sounds almost surreal. This place, however, is true to its name. Situated in Orchard Road, is a spacious restaurant called Real Food that will make you feel at ease with its decor and ambiance. The restaurant has two types of seating : sofas and large wooden tables. These sections are bifurcated by a huge wooden book shelf and can accommodate small and large gatherings. I prefer the sofa section as it has a lounge feel and is ideal for long friendly chats. When you are seated on the sofas, you can see a lovely photo collage on the walls facing you and when you turn back, you can grab a book and begin to read. You never know how time passes by at this warmly-lit place.
Real food decor
For starters, we decided to go for the ‘Herb Salad on Tomato Bruschetta’. The bread had a nice crunch which contrasted well with the cherry tomatoes, herb and vinegar topping and we gobbled it up in no time. To beat the heat, we also ordered the ‘Organic Lemonade’ at the same time and it was absolutely refreshing.
Herb salad on tomato bruschetta at $7.80
Next, we ordered the ‘Beet (Millet) Burger’ since we had heard so much about it. This is a delicious handmade patty made with beetroot, carrot and a combination of other veggies. It is slightly crumbly in nature but quite tasty and I enjoyed the burger. It is served with sweet potato wedges which makes the whole dish an interesting combination.
Organic lemonade at $5.80
Beet burger at $12.80
For the next dish, we went for the ‘Balsamic Cherry Tomato Prune Pasta’ which was just OK. The pasta was dry and needed more sauce. It is better to eat it when served hot. Since their menu is quite extensive, it is better to try out other dishes if you are headed there for the first time.
Balsamic cherry tomato prune pasta at $8.80
My friend ordered the ‘Stuffed Veggie Salad’ which was a beetroot patty with combination of veggies (like the burger), but excluding the bun. It is quite filling on it own and totally healthy.
Stuffed veggie salad at $9.80
They have some interesting desserts on display at their counter and all of them are gluten-free. We ordered the ‘Vegan Brownie’ which was a large slab of deliciousness and can easily be shared by two people. We also ordered ‘Chocolate and Date Cake’ which was a small square filled with the rich taste of natural dates and I would totally recommend it.
If you are a fan of rice, then the ‘Baked Brown rice’ is recommended. After the meal, you can also shop around the grocery section for organic items. The restaurant sells a variety of chips, coffee beans, teas, honey, juices, sugar, nuts and cooking items. Their menu is crystal clear and states which items are vegan and/or gluten-free. From a healthy vegetarian perspective, for their comfort, ambiance, variety in menu, affordable cost and delicious food, Real Food is totally worth a visit.
Vegan brownie at $6
| In a Nutshell
|| Deelightful Rating
|Cuisine Type: Vegetarian
|Nearest MRT: Orchard
|Address:181 Orchard Road, #02-16 Orchard Central, Singapore 238896
|Timings: Mon-Sun: 10 am-9 pm