When I want a simple and comforting meal, my go-to meal is soup. This time I chose yellow pumpkin/squash as my main ingredient. They give great texture and a hint of sweetness to soups. Try out this recipe – even if you don’t like yellow pumpkins! Potatoes were added to give the soup body and a rich feel. The colour of the soup was mind-blowing and it disappeared in no time. A hearty meal indeed!
Recipe Details :
Serves: 2-3 pax
Time: 60 mins
- 1 yellow pumpkin (400-500 g), diced in cubes
- 3 potatoes, diced into cubes
- 2 small onions, finely diced
- 2 green chillies, finely diced
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped coriander
- 1 cup water
- Cut the yellow pumpkins, potatoes and onions.
- Roast the white sesame seeds on low flame. Once they turn slightly brown, set aside.
- Now heat olive oil in a pan and add the chopped vegetables and saute them. Add some salt and green chilli at this stage.
- Once the veggies are partially cooked, add the coconut milk and the water. Let it cook on a low flame for around 30 mins. Stir once in a while to check on the consistency.
- Once the mixture looks thickened, switch off the flame. Set aside to cool.
- After around 20 mins, blend the mixture using a blender. Taste the soup and add some salt (if required) and pepper at this stage.
- Finally garnish this delicious and colorful soup with red chillies, roasted sesame seeds and coriander leaves. Now it is ready to serve and enjoy!
- If you want to incorporate sweeter flavours, roast the pumpkin before cutting.
- Don’t blend the mixture when it’s very hot. Do not let it cool down completely as well. The warmer it is when you blend it, the smoother the soup will be.