Quinoa and Veggie Wrap
A versatile and multipurpose dish is a winner in my books! Today’s recipe is a great salad and an amazing filling for wraps. It’s colourful and filled with healthy ingredients and takes any meal to another level. I had been planning to try Mexican style filling for wraps and burritos, and I am glad that I finally ended up making this delicious one-pot meal/filling. This filling can be eaten just by itself for breakfast or brunch. Quinoa and black beans are an awesome combination to make a scrumptious Mexican style meal. When you add veggies to these nutrient-rich foods along with avocado, you get a healthy wrap filling that you just can’t forget 🙂
Recipe Details :
Serves: 4 pax
Time: 45 mins
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cups black beans, soaked overnight. Else use canned ones.
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped coriander
- 1/2 a lemon just to squeeze at the end
- Rinse the quinoa at least 3 times in tap water. Drain the water.
- Cook the rinsed quinoa in the vegetable broth on low flame. Add some salt. It will take around 15 mins for the quinoa to absorb all the broth. Once the liquid is absorbed (around 15 minutes), turn off the flame. Leave the quinoa covered for 15 minutes. Then fluff it gently with a fork.
- In a pot, saute the onion and red bell pepper in olive oil till they turn slightly brown. Add salt, pepper and cumin powder to the veggies when they are cooking on the flame. Then add the garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add frozen corn and black beans. Lower the flame and continue cooking till they are nicely done. Turn off the flame.
- Now add the fluffed quinoa to the pot and mix it gently with the veggies.
- At the end, garnish the one-pot filling with avocado and coriander and mix well. Squeeze a bit of lemon on top. Fill this into a wrap and take a bite and you will love the flavours!
- If using canned beans, add them in after the corn has some time to cook.
- You can also cook the soaked beans separately (on the gas or the pressure cooker).
- Do not mash the avocado into the filling. Be gentle.