Mixed vegetable curries involve quite a bit of prep work depending on the number of vegetables being used in the dish. I wanted a curry with a simple vegetable pairing that would give both volume and texture to the dish and also be quick to make. I spotted some lovely beetroot and decided to toss in some peas and make a delicious dish to be served with rice. Apart from the ease in cooking, beets are a rich source of nutrients and are also known for their anti-carcinogenic properties. Since I was serving it with rice, I needed it to have nice broth for which coconut milk was just the right ingredient. The dish turned out to be a perfect combination of veggies, broth and taste.
Recipe Details :
Serves: 2-3 pax
Time: 30 mins
- 2 medium beetroots, chopped in cubes
- 3/4 cup green peas (boiled or frozen)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves and curry leaves for garnish (optional)
- Take oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. Once they splutter, add the ginger garlic paste and stir for 30 secs on a low flame.
- Add the chopped beets at this stage. Sauté them with some salt and turmeric powder, then cover the pan with a lid and cook them for around 8 mins. Sprinkle a bit of water on the beets to enable faster cooking.
- Add peas and cook the vegetables till they are tender.
- Add all the chili and coconut milk and simmer on a low flame till you get the desired consistency.
- Garish with coriander leaves and curry leaves and serve with rice.
- Cook on a low flame and do not allow the vegetables to overcook.
11 responses to “Beetroot and Peas Curry in Coconut milk”
yum yum yumm yum yummm! A delightfuk tasty dish!
It was yummy, thank you 🙂
I made it yesterday & it was superb! xxx
Wow, thank you Sophie for trying it out and more importantly liking it too 🙂 I am happy!
I’m not a fan of curry, but this still looks really good! 🙂
Oh, I am really glad you liked it and you should try it too! Thanks for stopping by 🙂
Oh i never knew I could make beetroot curry. This looks delicious!
Beets blend very nicely in curry, thank you 🙂
A lovely unusual dish. I love curries but had never thought to make one with beetroot before.
Thanks Corina and the advantage with beetroot is it is healthy, easy to cook and adds a nice texture to the curry 🙂
[…] Beetroot and Peas Curry in Coconut milk […]