Sometimes, the normal, everyday fare doesn’t hit the spot and you want to go for something just that little bit unique. I tried this side dish precisely for that reason. This is a dry side dish, but it can also be made as a gravy side dish (but that’s another post 🙂 )
Recipe for Baby corn and Carrot Stir-fry
Serves : 2
- 3 carrots cut into thin long pieces (approx 1 cup)
- 1 cup baby corn roughly chopped into large pieces
- 1 big onion chopped into thin long slices
- 1 tsp Garam Masala or curry powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilly powder
- 2 tsp oil
- Mustard seeds
- Fresh cilantro or coriander leaves [optional]
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds
- When they splutter, add the onions and fry them until soft and transparent
- Add some chilly powder and salt and mix well
- Add the chopped carrots and sprinkle some water on them. Cover and cook for 5-7 mins. Check once in a while so that the carrots don’t get burnt
- While the carrots are cooking, take a vessel and add the chopped baby corns in it. Add just enough to cover the corn and then add salt
- Heat this bowl of baby corns on medium-low flame till the baby corns become slightly soft. You can check by removing a single piece and cutting it with a spoon
- Strain the water and add the baby corns to carrots and stir the mixture well
- Add the garam/curry masala at this stage and adjust salt, if required. Let the mixture cook on a low flame
- Cook to till the vegetables are just soft
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot
- If the carrots that you buy are very sweet, reduce 1 carrot, or increase the baby corn
- Bear in mind that since baby corn is separately cooked in water, you don’t have to cook the final mixture beyond 2-3 mins on low flame.
- This is a recipe where you have to keep monitoring for the final texture of the cooked vegetables. If you forget it on the flame, the veggies will overcook or burn – so please don’t forget it on the flame.
- For those staying in Singapore, I use one small box of baby corn (with about 12 big pieces of baby corn) from NTUC.
2 responses to “Baby corn and Carrot Stir-Fry Curry/Sabzi”
I love baby corn and carrot and the addition of some chopped coriander, makes it a worthwhile meal to remember. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week!
Thanks for dropping by Liz 🙂 Yes, I totally agree that its a combination that just works together!!