It was one of those days when I felt like shopping and expended all my energy buying things! I had to come home and dish out a quick meal. A vegetable and rice which does not have a lot of prep work is my go-to option during such times. This fabulous spinach rice was the outcome. Spinach is very easy to cut, once you have ensured that the leaves are nicely washed. I had some feta cheese sitting in the refrigerator which I tossed into this rice. Then all I needed to do was to dig into this delicious meal.
Recipe Details :
Serves: 3 pax
Time: 30 mins
- 1.5 cups basmati rice
- 200 gms spinach leaves, finely chopped
- 1 bulb of garlic, finely chopped
- 100 gms of coriander leaves , finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 100 gms feta cheese, cut into cubes
- 8-10 cashews
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Boil the rice in water for about 10 – 15 minutes. Then drain the water and let it cool for around 15 mins.
- Pulse the spinach and coriander leaves in a food processor or finely chop them.
- Heat the pan on low flame and add oil and the fennel seeds. When you smell the fennel aroma, add the finely chopped onions with some salt. Add salt lightly at this stage as feta is inherently salty. Sauté the onions just enough to lightly brown them.
- Now mix the pulsed spinach and coriander with the onions. Than add the chopped garlic pieces.
- Roast the cashews separately and add them to the above mixture.
- Now add the rice and gently mix. The rice should become green evenly. Cook it on low flame for 5 mins.
- Garnish with the feta cubes and your rice is all set to be served.
- You can cook the rice in a pressure cooker. Just let it cook and fluff it before adding to the pan.
- Be careful when you stir in the rice. Overmixing will cause the rice to lose shape. Be gentle.
- Taste as you go – the feta will add a lot of salt.
- You need not cut the feta into cubes. Instead, you can just lightly crumble it into the rice.
2 responses to “Spinach Rice with Feta Cheese”
Looks so delicious and healthy! I would love to try it someday 🙂
Thanks for stopping by Indah! Do let me know how the rice turned out 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person