Sometimes when you open your refrigerator, you see a random assortment of veggies looking back at you – two carrots in the last shelf, one bell pepper hidden in a certain corner and so on and so forth. So what do you do? Toss some veggies that work well together to create an interesting stew! This is precisely what I did and it turned out delicious. Have this dish with toasted bread by the side and make it healthy and hearty meal.
Recipe for Potato and Peach Stew
Serves : 2-3
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 medium sized tomatoes cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup of red lentils [optional]
- 1 medium sized peach, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 green chillies, minced
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper [optional]
- 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary[optional]
- Salt to taste
- Add oil to a non-stick pan. Once the oil is warm (not hot) add the onions and a pinch of salt. Cook on a low flame until soft and transparent
- Now add the carrots and sauté the mixture over medium heat
- Add chopped garlic, chillies, tomatoes, potatoes and red lentils (in the order I have mentioned) and mix well. Then add the vegetable broth. Preferably, use a low Sodium broth. Bear in mind that the broth will be salted, so adjust seasoning accordingly. Adjust the thickness to your liking- I added 1 cup of water at this stage.
- Let the broth come to a boil on medium flame.
- At this point, lower the heat and cover the pan and let it simmer for around 20 mins. Check the potatoes by passing a fork through them – if it goes in smooth, it means the vegetables are done.
- At this stage, add the peach and cook for 5 mins
- Serve the stew hot with toasted bread
- When the vegetables are being cooked, monitor and stir them occasionally.
- If you are preparing home-made broth, don’t over-salt it. (I shall write a separate post on my home-made broth recipe)
- Do not overcook the vegetables. The carrots and tomatoes need to be just cooked
- If you want a sweeter taste in the stew, add one more peach or use a combination of potatoes and sweet potatoes
- For those staying in Singapore, I used the Pacific Organic Vegetable Broth from NTUC. It has a 22% sodium level. For people buying any other brands, the key is to look for low-sodium vegetable broth so that you can always add salt at a later stage.
- Avoid buns which inherently have a sweet taste
This exact recipe can be made by using pear instead of peach and it would taste equally great. I loved having this healthy, tasty and filling stew for dinner, hope you all try it and like it too 🙂
2 responses to “Potato and Peach Stew”
I found your website after googling coz the link you give on the comments does not link to your website.
I have never thought of making potato and peach stew, but i guess this is worth trying. I have bookmarked to try. Thanks for sharing! Have a lovely day!
Thanks Liz for pointing that out, I shall ensure to write my link henceforth 🙂 Its a combination totally worth trying, do let me know when you do and nice that you have it in your to-do cooking list. Have a nice day!