It’s not a revelation that Fortune Centre is a vegetarian and vegan food paradise. Located in the bustling Rochor area, it acts as a dining hot spot for both locals and tourists. One of my favourite cafes in this building is Create Healthy Lifestyle , a nondescript cafe serving healthy and tasty vegetarian food with less oil and salt and no MSG. It is mostly filled with customers at any time of the day and it is likely that you will have to share your table if you plan to eat here. The cafe also sells organic produce and packaged organic goods in their retail section.
Create Healthy Lifestyle
Orders are placed at the counter and their menu, written on the big white board helps you make your choices quickly. Apart from the daily specials, there are other extra items on their menu (placed at your table). There are also a lot of vegan options on the menu. For the quantity and the quality of items served, the prices are friendly on the wallet.
One of my standard orders at this place is the ‘Vegetable Pancake’ which is made in the Korean style. It’s actually an appetizer but for me its filling enough to be called a meal. It resembles a flattened pizza and is filled with vegetables like carrots, bell peppers and spinach. It is extremely savory and delicious along with the sauce to dip on the side. Highly recommended.
Create Healthy Lifestyle menu
We also ordered the ‘Tom Yum Soup’ which, for me, is happiness in a bowl. A delicious, savory spicy-sour soup is perfectly complemented by the earthy vegetables. To complete the dish, I opted for thin noodles – but they have other noodle options as well. Highly recommended.
Vegetable Pancake at $5
A simple and satisfying dish to order would be the ‘Vegetable Fried Brown Rice’ which is filled with a variety of veggies. Each component of the dish is cooked well and the rice is not mushy. Some could find the dish to be under salted but this cafe believes in doing their cooking in the healthy way.
Tom Yum Soup
There will always be a need for refreshing drinks in the Singapore weather. One of the popular drinks in the juice stalls is the ‘ABC’ juice. Made from the nutritious combination of apple, beetroot and carrot, this juice is healthy for the mind and body. Definitely give this juice a try!
Vegetable fried brown rice at $5
For their significant efforts to make healthy food with no compromise on taste, for their affordable prices and for their old-world charm, Create Healthy Lifestyle Cafe is a must-visit.
ABC (Apple, Beetroot and Carrot) Juice
Rhubarb is a welcome sign of spring. More often than not we have heard of rhubarb being used in pies. Baking, however, is an activity that requires some focused time. Staying in Singapore, I am always game for trying out thirst quenchers to beat the heat. If you are a regular reader of my blog, you would know by now that I love to try out new ingredients and rhubarb perfectly hits the intrigue factor. They look like red celery sticks and translate into a lovely ruby coloured juice. You can create alcoholic as well as non-alcoholic beverages with rhubarbs. With respect to health benefits, rhubarbs are full of fiber, potassium and Vitamin C. The thing to bear in mind is rhubarbs are highly tart and hence adding appropriate amounts of water to this juice is imperative. You can mix it with lemonade as a variant. At the end, seeing the pleasing colour of the juice was definitely satisfying. The best part about this juice is that no sugar is required for preparation!
Recipe Details :
Makes: 3-4 glasses
Time: 30 mins
- 4-5 stalks of rhubarb, without leaves
- 1 split vanilla bean / 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4-5 cups water
- Wash the rhubarb in cold water, cut off the leaves and trim the ends. And then cut it into 1/2 inch pieces.
Rhubarb pieces in water
- Place the cut rhubarb stalks in a pot and cover it with enough cold water till they are just floating.
- Cover the pot with a lid. Bring the water to a boil on low flame, stirring occasionally.
- When all the rhubarb stalks have broken down to uniform soup kind of consistency, switch off the flame. This should take around 15 mins.
- Once the mixture is cooled to room temperature, strain it through a mesh strainer.
- If the pulp becomes a mass, you can press the strainer with a wooden spoon and drain off the liquid.
- Once the liquid is drained, refrigerate it immediately. Your light pink colored rhubarb juice is ready.
- To serve, dilute your juice with water, lemonade, and / or ice and serve!
- Do not boil the rhubarb stalks for a prolonged period, they can get bitter.
- With the rhubarb pulp, you can add it to yogurt and get a sweet high.
- For those staying in Singapore, rhubarb stalks can be found in Fairprice Finest.
When the weather gets warm, you need a go-to summer drink. Ideally, it should be one you can make easily, in bulk, and store so that you can sip it whenever you want. Strawberries work perfectly with lemons to make a great refreshing drink. Try it and you will end up liking it berry much!
Recipe Details :
Makes: 4-5 glasses
Time: 20 mins
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 10-12 strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 tbsp grated lemon peel
- 2 cups cold sparkling water
- Mint leaves for garnish (optional)
- Take a medium saucepan and mix the sugar into the water. Bring it to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Switch off the flame and remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Let the mixture cool a little. Add the lemon peel and lemon juice and stir well.
- Once the mixture cools completely, strain it into a clean pitcher.
- In a blender, puree the strawberries into a fine mixture and add it into the pitcher with the lemon juice. Stir the juice well and refrigerate.
- To serve, pour some of the chilled mixture in a serving glass and top it off with sparkling water. Stir well and garnish with mint leaves.
- Let the sugar syrup cool before adding the lemon juice and peel.
- If you want a smoother drink, you can strain the strawberry puree through a fine mesh.