Easy and healthy cooking is a combination that can be achieved by using nutritious vegetables that cook quickly. Beetroot and carrot are vegetables that are good for health and fast to cook when grated. I made a quick stir fry with these ingredients and used South Indian spices for a hit of heat. These veggies can be steam-cooked, and require almost no oil. This is a quick, healthy, and delicious dish that can be made even at the last moment.
Recipe Details :
Serves: 3-4 pax
Time: 30 mins
- 1 beetroot, grated
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp sambar powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- Salt to taste
- Peel off the skin and grate the beetroot and carrot on the largest grooves of the grater.
- Finely chop the onions.
- Take a pan and heat a little oil on low flame. Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter. Then add the urad dal and curry leaves.
- Once the urad dal turns golden brown, add the onions and cook them till they turn translucent.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and sambar powder.
- Once the spices are cooked, add the grated beetroot and carrot and mix well to combine. Sprinkle a little water on them and cook for 8-10 mins. Stir in between for uniform cooking.
- Switch off the flame and serve with rotis or rice.
- Don’t add too much water – you don’t want the vegetables to turn mushy.
- If you don’t have sambar powder, use a combination of coriander powder, red chili powder, and garam masala to spice the dish.