Bottle Gourd with Lentils/ Lauki with Chana Dal/Doodhi with Chana Dal Sabzi
We have all heard the saying ‘Health is wealth’. It essential to eat a balanced diet that includes all kind of vegetables. Bottle gourd is an underutilized vegetable – but it contains loads of nutritional value. This side dish works very well in lunch boxes when paired with rotis. It can be cooked in no time provided you have soaked the dal earlier. Bottle gourd goes by many names in India – mainly Lauki/Doodhi/Lobia. This dish is essentially all that you would like in everyday cooking – almost no oil, healthy, quick to make and hassle free.
Recipe Details :
Serves: 3-4 pax
Time: 40 mins
- 1 bottle gourd, peeled and diced into medium cubes
- 1 cup chana dal (Bengal gram)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped coriander
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 4 cups water
- 2 red chillies
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida (optional)
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- Soak the chana dal in warm water for 30 mins and keep aside.
- Cut the bottle gourd into cubes. Immerse them in water so that they do not lose colour.
- Drain the water from the chana dal. Take a pan and put the soaked chana dal in it. Add turmeric powder, salt, oil, green chillies, and the grated ginger. Add about 2 cups of water and mix well. Turn the flame on to medium-low and let mixture boil uncovered for at least 20 mins.
- After 20 mins, you will notice that the dal has nicely puffed up and it should not taste raw. It should break easily with a spoon.
- Now add the bottle gourd pieces along with some salt. Cook with the pan partly covered.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of water in stages depending on the consistency that you want. Also add the garam masala at this stage. Stir nicely.
- Finally give the tadka using mustard seeds, red chillies and asafoetida. Switch off the flame.
- Garnish the delicious sabzi with coriander leaves before serving.
- It is important to soak the daal for at least 30 minutes.