While making my green smoothies, I used up most of the spinach lying in the refrigerator. The final packet of spinach would not be sufficient in itself for a whole dish. To complement the leafy texture, I tossed in some cabbage. To add some crunch in the dish, I decided to go with lentils. This made it possible for the dish to go beautifully with rotis or dal & rice. The green and yellow colours of the whole dish made it visually very appealing. Since both the veggies also cook fast, it was a quick dish to make.
Recipe Details :
Serves: 3-4 pax
Time: 25 mins
- 1 packet spinach, chopped (approx 3 cups)
- 1 medium cabbage, chopped
- 1/3 cup moong dal
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 dried chillies, broken
- 4-5 curry leaves (optional)
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak moong dal in water for 30 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. Once they splutter add the urad dal, curry leaves and dried red chillies and sauté them for a minute.
- Now add the chopped spinach and cabbage along with the drained moong dal. Also add turmeric and salt at this stage and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook the curry for about 15-20 mins. The moong dal and cabbage will take slightly more time to cook than the spinach.
- Switch off the flame and the delicious curry is all to set to be served with rotis or rice.
- Do not add too much water as the moong dal will turn mushy. Sprinkle water or else best cook with a lid.
- Stir the vegetables once in between else the veggies at the bottom of the pan might get burnt.