While making my green smoothies, I used up most of the spinach lying in the refrigerator. The final packet of spinach would not be sufficient in itself for a whole dish. To complement the leafy texture, I tossed in some cabbage. To add some crunch in the dish, I decided to go with lentils. This made it possible for the dish to go beautifully with rotis or dal & rice. The green and yellow colours of the whole dish made it visually very appealing. Since both the veggies also cook fast, it was a quick dish to make.
Recipe Details :
Serves: 3-4 pax
Time: 25 mins
- 1 packet spinach, chopped (approx 3 cups)
- 1 medium cabbage, chopped
- 1/3 cup moong dal
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 dried chillies, broken
- 4-5 curry leaves (optional)
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak moong dal in water for 30 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. Once they splutter add the urad dal, curry leaves and dried red chillies and sauté them for a minute.
- Now add the chopped spinach and cabbage along with the drained moong dal. Also add turmeric and salt at this stage and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook the curry for about 15-20 mins. The moong dal and cabbage will take slightly more time to cook than the spinach.
- Switch off the flame and the delicious curry is all to set to be served with rotis or rice.
- Do not add too much water as the moong dal will turn mushy. Sprinkle water or else best cook with a lid.
- Stir the vegetables once in between else the veggies at the bottom of the pan might get burnt.
12 responses to “Spinach and Cabbage with Lentils Curry/ Spinach and Cabbage with Lentils Sabzi”
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,…A pretty appetizing easy dish that I also love,…😊
I miss you my blog!
Thanks Sophie 🙂
What a neat idea to use up all the leftover vegetables! i can imagine the taste… a must try!
Thank you so much – do let me know how it turned out 🙂
I usually make spinach dal, adding cabbage sounds different….wil give a try next time when I make….thanx for this. …
Oh ya even I make spinach dal quite often but that day I ran out of enough spinach and gave this a try. Thanks a lot and do let me know how it turned out 🙂
cabbage and spinach combo with lentils, very interesting 🙂
Glad you liked it Andy – I loved the combination 🙂
will be following your recipe the day i make it 🙂
First time on your site.. love the chalk board look.Ive always made cabbage with lentils. Will try the spinach next time.
Thanks a lot Preethi – do let me know how it turned out!
[…] Spinach and Cabbage with Lentils Curry/ Spinach and Cabbage with Lentils Sabzi […]